<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 06, 2005

shamelessly stolen from simon hb 

who is one of the finest writers about music I can think of. No rock and roll fun is a total joy and has been especially insightful about the hypocrisy and egos surrounding live 8.

You can play catch up on that thread here (I can't imagine who the undercover pop spy in edinburgh was) but i find it a delightful daily treat.

AND PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU LIVE 8 FAILED

Oh, sure, it might not have actually made any difference at all to the starving or dying of the world, but - hey - Live 8 did put an end to Pink Floyd's intra-band hostility:

[Roger Waters] says, "It was a great weight off my back to have a rapprochement with the three guys after all the enmity.

"Constantly, in my work, I am exhorting people to let go of entrenched positions, and that could be seen as hypocritical in view of the fact that, for all those years, I held an entrenched position in terms of the history and internal politics of Pink Floyd.

"If (Live 8) is the only time we play together for the rest of our lives, I will reap the benefits of those few days for the rest of my life."

A dying child in Niger issued a statement welcoming Water's comments:

"I am delighted to hear that the painful deaths and almost unimaginable suffering of millions of people like me have not been in vain and the many decades of western banks raping the economies of so many nations has played a small part in bringing about this joyous event. My role was only a small one in bringing this band back together, and ending their argument over whatever it was, and of course, I wouldn't want to take any of the glory away from Bob and Bono without whom our suffering might not have been turned into a tool to make multimillionaires a little more relaxed when they sleep in their soft, comfy beds at night, with full bellies and dry bedding"

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?